Sony has announced several updates for the PMW-F5 and PMW-F55, including firmware version 5.0, due out in December. Version 5.0 adds several features, but also preps the camera for several big hardware updates.
- Interval recording
- Memory A/B white balance in Custom mode
- Assignable color bars on/off
- Assignable viewfinder magnification on/off
- Simultaneous recording with HDCAM SR 422 SQ and MPEG 50Mbps 4:2:2
- Direct changing FPS from Menu knob
- Double speed viewfinder mode remains on when switching HFR on/off
- Adds support for ENG / EFP build-up kit (CBK-55BK)
- Adds support for Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD via optional CBK-55PD
- Adds support for 4K XAVC internal recording on F5 with optional CBKZ-55FX upgrade
Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD
Although the F5 and F55 come well equipped with three codec options (four if you count Raw), Sony has announced the addition of Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD recording to the SxS cards. A one-time installation of the CBK-55PD encoder board provides ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, DNxHD 220x, and DNxHD 145. A free update scheduled for June 2015 will add ProRes 4444 up to 29.97p. The update has a list price of $2250 and must be updated at a Sony service center. Labor fees are included in the sales price, and the upgrade has a target release date of December.
4K Upgrade for F5
Starting in December, F5 users will have the option to upgrade to 4K internal XAVC recording and 4K SDI and HDMI output. In addition to being able to record QHD or 4K, you’ll also be able to simultaneously record a 50Mbps MPEG2 proxy to SxS Pro+ cards. The update is user-installable and will have an expected list price of $998.
Make sure to visit Sony’s Community Site for more details.