As promised, Sony has released firmware version 3.0 for the PMW-F5, PMW-F55, and the AXS-R5 recorder. This is a major system update that includes several key features that were previously announced, as well as several new ones. Additionally, Sony has announced that firmware version 4.0 will be released in March 2014 with new features that were added due to user feedback, including cache recording and support for HDMI 2.0 (4K 60fps output) on the F55. Interval recording was previously announced for firmware 3.0, but is delayed and will be released with 4.0 in March.
Firmware v3.0 also brings with it SLog3, which will be close to the Cineon Log Curve according to Sony, and SGamut3.Cine, which is a DCI P3 Gamut. The official SLog3 and SGamut3 white paper will be released in January and we’ll be sure to do some additional testing as well, so stay tuned!
Some of the new highlights of firmware v3.0 include:
• XAVC QFHD recording (3840×2160) on the F55
• S&Q (slow and quick) support in XAVC 4K and QFHD from 1 to 60fps
• Additional S&Q framerates for XAVC HD and XAVC 2K – available framerates are 1-60, 72, 75, 80, 90, 96, 100, 110, 120, 125, 135, 144, 150, 160, 168, 175 and 180
• 1280×720 MPEG HD recording has been added, supported framerates are 50p and 59.94p
• Independent Monitor LUTs – you can now turn on the LUTs on the Main SDI out & internal recording, Sub SDI out / HDMI out, and viewfinder independently
• Center Scan Mode for S&Q recording above 60fps – you now choose between Center Scan or Full Scan Modes when shooting XAVC HD or 2K in S&Q or HFR modes; this can be an alternative to using the 2K OLPF for high speed shooting
• You also have the option to use Center Scan Mode for Super 16 lenses with XAVC HD, XAVC 2K, and SR codecs
• User LUTs – in addition to the included standard LUTs from Sony, you can now load custom 1D LUTs that you create with Sony Raw Viewer 2.1
• AES/EBU digital inputs for up to 4 channels of audio
• Scene and Lens files can be saved to/from an SD card, making it much simpler to load your favorite scene files, which can be moved individually or in batches of five
• Raw clips can be monitored via the camera outputs and EVF – you no longer have to use the AUX port on the AXS-R5 to review your Raw clips; MLUTs can also be applied to the Raw playback
Head over to the Sony Community for the full list of updated features or to download the firmware for your F5 or F55. While you’re there, make sure to check out all the new features that will be released with version 4.0 in March.