ARRI has released the latest Software Update Packet (SUP), v6.1 for the ALEXA camera line. The main purpose of this firmware release is to consolidate the various updates to all of the cameras in the ALEXA line. SUP v6.1 supports all five cameras in the ALEXA family, from the original ALEXA EV, to the ALEXA Plus, the optical viewfinder ALEXA Studio, the modular ALEXA M and the new full sensor ALEXA Plus 4:3. All new cameras will ship with SUP v6.1 installed. It is also available as a free download from the ARRI website for current ALEXA owners. In addition to centralizing the firmware updates, SUP v6.1 features other upgrades for the ALEXA cameras.
Functions for all ALEXA models:
- Camera unit index can be displayed on the monitor output; useful for multicam shooting
- On-screen icon noting use of Peaking Function
Functions for select ALEXA models:
- Full support for 16:9 and 4:3 shooting modes (ALEXA Studio, M & 4:3)
- 180-degree mirror shutter now available in 16:9 at 48fps (ALEXA Studio)
- In-camera lens profiling for Lens Data Display (LDA) (ALEXA Studio, Plus, Plus 4:3)
To download SUP v6.1, ALEXA owners must log in after completing a one-time registration on the ARRI website. The file can then be downloaded to an SD card for uploading into the camera. Also available for download are an updated user manual, release notes for SUP v6.1, and a data sheet on the new DNxHD License.