Sony has just announced details on their upcoming zoom lenses for the F3. The new SCL-Z18X140 lens is a 14x powered zoom in the native Sony F3 mount. It will ship in November with a list price of $12,200, but will likely retail for less. This zoom is the first servo driven lens designed to cover the Super-35 sensor found in the F3. It features full auto iris, auto focus and stabilization. At the wide end of the lens, it has an aperture of T3.9, which drops to around T6.8 at the end. However, the image stabilization and other functions add up to make it quite an amazing lens. Firmware version 1.20, which enables the use of the zoom rocker found on the side of the camera, is required to use the lens. The firmware will also be released in November; see yesterday’s blog for details. View the bottom of the post to see the full specs of the new lens.
Along with the 14x lens announcement comes a bit more information on Sony’s new wide angle 11-16mm zoom. This is a PL mount zoom lens, which is designed to match the 35, 50 and 85mm lenses that come with the PMW-F3K model. It will be available around the end of the year.
SCL-Z8X140 Lens Specs
- Iris Manual/Auto Focus
- Manual/Servo Zoom
- Auto Flange Back Adjustment
- Image Stabilization
- Sony Lens Interface Lens mount: FZ mount (F3 original)
- Focal Length: 18 – 252mm (28.7 – 401.8mm 35mm equivalent)
- Zoom Ratio: 14x T-stop: T3.9 (wide) / T6.8 (tele)
- Iris Diaphragm: 7 blades
- Filter Diameter: 82mm
- 151.5 (W) x 173.5 (D) x 125.6 (H) mm (Wide)
- 151.5 (W) x 216.1 (D) x 125.6 (H) mm (Tele)
- Weight: 2.25 kg (4.96 lbs) (w/o hood)