ARRI has released the latest Software Update Packet (SUP), v4.0, for the ALEXA and the new ALEXA Plus cameras. All new cameras will ship with SUP v4.0 installed, and it is available as a free download from the ARRI website for all current ALEXA owners. SUP v4.0 is a substantial upgrade for the ALEXA, with several major new features and a host of useful improvements.
Key new features of SUP v4.0 include (for both ALEXA & ALEXA Plus):
- ARRI Look Files to create custom looks for monitoring or recording
- Auto white balance
- Peaking function for focus check in EVF-1 and MON OUT
- EVF ZOOM adjustable target position
- False color exposure check for Log C images
- EVF ZOOM and EXP buttons are now toggle on/off
- Compare stored image from SD card with live image
- RETURN IN video
- Audio playback from SxS PRO cards enabled
- SxS recording can be turned off
- More silent operation at higher ambient temperatures
- ‘Rec Low’ fan mode for silent operation in extremely hot environments
Key new features of SUP v4.0 for ALEXA Plus include:
- Master/Slave lens motor control
- 3D lens sync
- Lens Data System (LDS) info display in EVF-1 and on MON OUT
- Lens Data Archive (LDA)
- Electronic level in EVF and MON OUT
In addition to SUP v4.0, ARRI is now offering its first Paid License Feature, which is Anamorphic de-squeeze in the EVF-1 and on the MON OUT. Please contact us for information on purchasing this feature.
To download SUP v4.0, ALEXA owners must login after completing a one-time registration on the ARRI website. The file can then be downloaded to an SD card for uploading into the camera. Also available for download are an updated user manual, release notes for SUP v4.0, a White Paper on ARRI Look Files, and a White Paper on ALEXA Anamorphic De-squeeze.